My personal blog: A Fun Activity #ShareTheLoad badge

Pages

Tuesday 31 May 2016

A Fun Activity #ShareTheLoad

Times have changed today. Where earlier we had pre assumed girls as homemakers and boys described as the future of the household who takes the family's name forward, we have girls today who believe in carrying her birth surname along with her husband's name, thus giving both the names and equal amount of respect.

Boys learn what they see at home and if we as parents distribute the job and make them equally share the load, we can actually bring a change and make them feel equal. Household work is not defined as a woman's responsibility and we need to start thinking differently about this.

Today, I made my son and my nephew to perform an activity in the house and promised both of them two pastries if they completed their work in time and the winner would get an extra cash reward. At first, both were so bored as they just came from their classes and wanted to take bath and go asleep. It took me an effort to convince them and they finally agreed to it as pastries are their favorite.

We started at 3:00 p.m. and I instructed them to wash their socks, handkerchiefs and tops. The tops in this summer get extremely dirty due to the sweat and dirt and hence the stains get tough to wash if there is any delay. I arranged the clothes for them and they were shocked to see their clothes are so dirty, especially their socks which were full of mud and I told them that if they start washing their own clothes regularly, they wouldn't dirty them again. It was really cute to watch them give excuses of getting their socks dirty and this is the age when kids need to be responsible and learn how to wash their own clothes.

I made both of them pour two scoops of Ariel powder mixed with water in a tumbler and then start scrubbing the stains on the socks slowly by holding the scoop upside down. They started scrubbing it slowly. First few minutes, they kept grumbling but after that they started enjoying it as they saw the stains vanish. Kids being kids, these two started pouring water on each other and washing the tops and handkerchiefs and I found it tough to control them. While getting upset that they are playing with soap water, I myself started playing with them and this activity soon became a fun moment for us.

I would advise all moms to perform this activity with their kids at home as they are not only teaching them to learn washing but also making them aware that they need to share the load.


I am taking part in the #ShareTheLoad Challenge with Ariel and Akshara at BlogAdda.

No comments:

Post a Comment