My personal blog: Advice that helped me #AdviceThatMattered badge

Pages

Friday 19 August 2016

Advice that helped me #AdviceThatMattered

I was in my final year in college and I had still not been placed in any company even in my final year. I was highly disappointed as I had not been able to attend many interviews due to my ill-health and hence had missed out on great placement opportunities. The interviews that I had managed to attend did not go well and I managed to pass 3 written tests but couldn't get through the interviews. I was very upset as I was told by my friends that getting a placement through the college is very important and if I wouldn't manage to get through, it would be very tough for me to manage to get a job outside.

I remember the day when I went to college to get signatures from all my professors so that I could manage to get a leaving certificate and this was when I met the placement officer of our college. It was the second time I had met him and the first time I had a chat with him. He was very strict and hence I used to keep avoiding to talk to him about my placement but this time he asked me to sit and tell him what I was planning about my future. Here is what we discussed that day?

Are you working at the moment?

No, Sir. I  am still looking out for a job.

Where have you tried?

(I was confused as to what to answer as I had not yet applied in any company since there weren't any good openings and the only thing I managed to do was make an account on Naukri.com) I am searching for openings on Naukri, Sir.

Naukri? That website doesn't give you good opportunities. You are an average student and very good in programming. You should have been placed by now.

(I always felt he did not like me or considered me below average but this was not the case. I kept silent.)

What's your preference? Which company would you like to work in?

I prefer to work anywhere in Mumbai, Sir. Whichever company recruits Software Engineers and I don't have any specific choices.

I know of a company that's Sewri who are looking out for trainees and you would be paid Rs. 2500 as a stipend which is given to new trainees.

(I was shocked at his reply and felt he was mocking me.) Rs. 2500, Sir?

Yes. That's the starting and after 6 months, you would be getting their normal salary of 15,000.

(I was completely blank that moment as I knew that travelling would itself make me spend Rs. 3000+)

You should definitely apply in this company. (He looked at me sternly as he knew I was doubtful.) I know the stipend is less but it would be the best opportunity for you. Also, this experience would be counted and would get you a better salary in future.

(I thought for a while and listened to him as I had no choice. It was either to struggle for a new job or take what was offered). OK, Sir.

After this discussion, I applied for a job in the company and got selected. It was tough to work there for 6 months with just 2.5K but it is now that I realize it was the best decision I had taken. Because of that experience, I got better opportunities today and my salary is the best package among my friends. If I had not listened to my placement officer's advise, I don't know if I would manage to earn the amount as I do today but certainly I listened to him and it was the best advice I got till date.

I am blogging about my dreams and the people who helped make them true for the #AdviceThatMattered activity at BlogAdda in association with Stoodnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment